Monday, April 6, 2015



Today, we are going to interview someone who has had considerable experience in various audio and video ministries. We chose Mr. Rex Munyon because of his experience and love for ministry.

Introduction

Rex Munyon, before we actually get to the interview questions, could you introduce yourself and briefly explain what brought you to this point/position in your life?

I’ve been a Watertown resident thru my years of schooling in the Academy and college. After college, I married my wife and we lived in Indiana for 16 years. We moved back to Watertown to work at MBBC (now MBU) in 2001, and worked there for 10 years. I have a Bachelors Degree from MBBC, and a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana. I became interested in sound board systems while in junior high. I followed that interest and worked the sound board at the churches I’ve been a member of. I was interested in video as well, and spent a number of years working at Maranatha in charge of the audio and video needs of the campus, including events in the gym and A/V needs in classrooms.

Live Streaming

What tools do you use to live stream?

My church (Calvary Baptist in Watertown) does live streaming. I’ve helped with it very little, and have not done anything with it in over a year. I know the church uses a service to live stream, but I don’t know much beyond that.

What are the primary benefits of live streaming?

Live streaming allows those not able to attend a service in person to still watch a service. I’ve personally benefited by watching live stream while sick and while recovering from surgery.

Who do you see as being benefited by live streaming?

Live streaming can benefit a wide variety of people. My first thought is the elderly who can’t physically attend, although some of them would not have the tech savvy or the equipment to live stream. Others who are sick for a day, or invalid due to surgery, or on vacation, or former members who are no longer in the area can all benefit from live streaming.

Audio Distribution

What software do you use for recording/editing audio?

Calvary Baptist uses a computer and “Audacity”, a free recording software package to record audio. It is very versatile for a lot of the audio editing needs as well.

What software/services do you use for distributing audio via the internet?

I’m not totally sure, but I think it is Sermon audio, an internet service.

What are some other avenues of distribution that you use for audio?

There are some who still like to have cd’s. I see more things moving to mp3, although I don’t see a service like iTunes or similar being used to distribute sermons. Many churches can keep their library of sermons on a server at the church, but services like Sermonaudio can also be used.

Copyright Concerns

What do you see as the primary copyright concerns?

Music is copyrighted. I will only record special music if the person performing it requests it. Then I will record for that person, but I won’t put it on the website or sell to others. I’m not certain of all the copyright laws, and I see them changing a lot over the next few years. I don’t think copyright will be as great a concern in the future as it is now.

What would you recommend to churches that are wishing to broadcast/distribute copyright music?

Hire a lawyer who is an expert in that area, and pick his brain for a couple of hours. A year later, hire him for an hour to see what has changed, and let that be a method of practice on-going.

Final thoughts

What advice do you have for someone wishing to expand their audio/video ministry?

Don’t skimp on decent sound system. Find what is current and use it as much as possible. These areas are changing quite rapidly, and it is a challenge to keep up.

What tools/websites do you recommend to those expanding?

Just do your research. There are multiple sites that have good information for “houses of worship”, which is the new catch-all phrase for churches. I personally like Shure microphones. Hire a consultant, or have 2 or 3 come in to give bids and recommendations before deciding what to do or how to expand.

What final thoughts would you like to share?

I look at the audio ministry as a supplement to the purposes of the church (which is the distribution of the gospel). The audio ministry should always enhance what is happening, and otherwise be transparent (like it isn’t there). If things work well, no one notices. If they work badly, everyone notices. My goal is to have no one notice, because the sound works well and adds to the services. If someone were to not come to Christ because something in the audio distracted him/her at a critical time, the audio system has failed and possibly prevented a person from going to heaven. That would be a tragedy.

Conclusion

Thank you Rex Munyon for your letting me interview you! I greatly appreciate it, and am sure that those here at Maximizing Media Ministries also appreciate it!


Now that we have had the opportunity to learn such valuable insight, let us switch gears a little and bring out a few points of focus by asking some follow-up questions:
  1. What/who are the prime benefits of live streaming?
  2. Can you think of any other ways to address copyright concerns?
  3. What idea impacted you the most?
You can respond via the comments section below.

If you have not had a chance yet, check out our most recent post: “Maximizing Media through Live Streaming

Tagged: , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your valued input!